SSL Big Six
12-Channel Analogue Studio Mixer
BiG SiX combines production tools from iconic SSL studio consoles with the latest in hybrid workflow. G-Series Bus Compressor with renowned ‘Auto’ release, E-Series EQ, glorious sounding mic pres with channel processing, and advanced monitoring and routing, all designed on a SuperAnalogueTM foundation and brought together with full USB integration. BiG SiX is the essential SSL studio.
Initially developed for the SL 9000 Series consoles to take analogue performance to the next level, SuperAnalogueTM technology is at the heart of BiG SiX and is fundamental to what sets it (and SiX) apart from other desk-top mixers. SuperAnalogueTM technology is the sum of an applied design philosophy, constant invention, and dedication to optimizing every detail of our precision audio products. There are many contributing aspects, including our bespoke circuits, ground-breaking low-noise gain control, servo-coupled amplifier stages, and many more.
BiG SiX contains a class compliant USB 96 Khz / 24 bit interface to connect to a PC or MAC. The interface is paired with 16 high quality A/D and D/A converters that are connected to the SuperAnalogueTM signal chain in BiG SiX. The first 12 channels are split across the first 12 inputs/outputs and can be switched pre/post fader. USB channels 13-16 route to/from External inputs and Master buses. Alternatively, sends 9/10 and 11/12 can be fed from the stereo cue buses. Perfect for additional ITB processing.
Fast, detailed and very, very punchy. BiG SiX’s SuperAnalogueTM preamps are capable of comfortably handling a wide variety of microphones (including ribbon) thanks to their super wide gain range. They feature a dedicated line input with Hi-Z, 48V, high pass filter and polarity switch, and will get the absolute best out of your new and vintage instruments and line level sources.
Smooth, refine and add character with classic SSL channel compression. The compressors program dependent attack time (8ms – 30ms), release time around 300ms and the gentle 2:1 ratio allow the compressor to work across a wide variety of content and makes up one of the three compression flavours BiG SiX offers.
3 band SSL EQ
The channel EQ on BiG SiX has its roots in SSL’s classic E series, matching its EQ curves on the broadest setting. It is a broad stroke three-band design with high and low shelving filters at 3.5 kHz and 60 Hz, adjustable from +15 dB to -15 dB of gain and a fixed Mid Frequency control at 700 Hz. The HF and LF bands can be independently switched between shelving and bell curves, and can be found on every channel of BiG SiX.
- Balanced signal routing throughout with +27dBu headroom (except headphones)
- 12 Channels (4 mono, 4 stereos)
- 4 SuperAnalogue Mic Preamps with +48V/75Hz HPF
- 4 Stereo channels with Hi-Z impedance switch (1 MOhm)
- Mono channels: 3-band EQ with switchable HF/LF characteristics, SSL compressor and balanced insert
- Stereo channels: SSL 3-band EQ
- Peak response LED indicators
- 16-Channel AD/DA converter with USB-C interface for recording
- 18-Channel stereo SuperAnalogue summing
- Summing bus with balanced insert path
- SSL Bus Compressor (simplified version)
- 100 mm Fader
- Stereo mix bus summing for cascading mixers
- Two stereo cue sends
- Monitoring section with talkback, local monitoring, 2 stereo cue feeds
- 2 Headphone outputs with separate source selection
- Variable B-bus/mute circuit for simple overdubs
- "Listen Mic Compressor" with flexible routing
- Dimensions: 489.4 x 390.2 x 141.2 mm
- Weight: 6.8 kg